When we concentrate on the gifts for which we are thankful, it can help to break the list into categories. The obvious categories are:
- people in my life.
- my house/apartment, food, clothing, and other physical necessities.
- my job and any meaningful work in my life.
- my faith community.
Let’s add a few categories.
- Memories—of all kinds but especially memories that still inform my life
- Specific experiences that have shaped me
- The history I have—family, friends, and places I’ve lived
- Things I’ve done—tasks accomplished, projects taken on, creative endeavors
- Dreams, desires, and wishes—if it weren’t for those, would I ever move, risk, or experience?
- God’s help and/or otherwise answered prayers or evidence of God’s care
I suggest that, during your prayer times over the next few days, choose one category per day. Name each item in that category, and give thanks for it specifically.
That’ll be a full feast of thanksgiving!