A Passionate Theme

by Vinita Hampton Wright on 02/07/2014

One of the aspects of music I love so much is that it happens in real time, and the passion of the musician joins with the passion of the composer. This happens to be the theme music of one of my favorite, most passionate movies of all time, Cinema Paradiso. Please enjoy not only the music, but also the expressions on the faces and in the body language of all these musicians.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Jean C February 7, 2014 at 11:09 am

I love the cello, and Yo-Yo Ma is my favourite performer, so this was a pleasure to watch – thank you!

Carol Burns February 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

Blessings, blessings, blessings for sharing this! My three sons played those three particular instruments – piano, trumpet, and cello. What precious memories are flooding back to my heart! I am so grateful for this deeply personal experience of re-visiting very precious times in my life.

Pat February 7, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Oh what a delight to take a few minutes and become lost in this piece. Chris Botti is one of my all time favorite performers, I have been blessed to see him on 4 different occasions and have several CD’s he definitely has a passion for music, becomes lost in the pieces and invites the listener to also be transported for a few minutes in the smoothest music one will ever hear. His other passion is clearly sharing music with children and it is a delight to see him identify child musicians in the audience and perhaps call them to the stage to play with him.
Thanks for the gift of these few moments of delight on a winter’s afternoon

Lynda February 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Vinita, that was amazing! It is almost sacred to watch people who are so passionate about what they do because they are so involved that they are unaware of anything outside of their art at that moment – nothing penetrates the magic that is happening within. Thanks for sharing.

Ginny Kubitz Moyer February 10, 2014 at 2:27 am

Vinita, I’ve been thinking about this music and movie so much lately — what a coincidence that you are, too. There is something about Ennio Morricone’s music that touches me deeply. I’ve been trying to pinpoint what it is, and I always fall short. Part of it is the memory of being in high school/college and falling in love with a musical film score for the first time. CP is such a beautiful marriage of story and music; few other movies come close.

Vinita Hampton Wright February 10, 2014 at 9:45 am

I believe there must be some special grace for a composer to create something like this score. I was a musician and amateur composer for a number of years, and this kind of thing still seems completely magical/divine to me.