You have my permission to do this. Really. No guilt whatsoever.
- Choose an activity that gives you joy and that feeds your soul. It can be anything—something you do alone or with friends, an activity that’s high intensity or more contemplative, something you do away from home or in your home.
- Schedule a full two hours for this activity—in the next 10 days. Write it on the calendar and call it an appointment because it is; it’s an appointment with yourself. Don’t let anything get in the way of this appointment.
- Move into this appointment with a prayer, such as, “Lord, I’m placing myself here to be nurtured and inspired and lifted up. Help me let go and receive whatever you have for me.”
- Enjoy your two hours. Soak in this activity. Tell yourself how it feels to be here: “This is so nice. . . What a lovely afternoon! . . . I love this!”
- Leave this time and activity with a prayer of thanksgiving.
- Before you go to bed this night, reflect on the time you had and ask God for whatever insights are there. Look back on the experience and identify the graces. Make some notes to yourself.
- Resolve to do this again in X number of days or weeks.