Monday’s post gave a brief summary of St. Ignatius’s legacy, given to the world through the work of the Society of Jesus and through the widespread use of the Spiritual Exercises. Today, let’s ask ourselves this question: What will be my legacy?
- Whose lives have I touched? Spouse, children, grandchildren? Coworkers, students, clients? People in my faith community, my neighborhood, or some other grouping?
- What holy work has issued from my life? Have I been able to do God’s work through my day job or career? If not, how have I contributed to God’s kingdom here on earth—through church or community work, through friendships or activities important to me?
- What have I created that is good for the world? Am I a teacher, a writer, a painter, a builder, a manager? How have I helped my workplace grow in its productivity or efficiency? What tools have I created for people in my profession or for those who are somehow under my care?
- How have I helped the souls of others?
- What do I want to leave as a legacy? Have I already begun this work? Do I need to make some changes toward this legacy-making? Do I have a clear idea of what my legacy is at this point, and if not, who can help me see these gifts of mine?