Thanks to all of you who filled out our survey—we sent it to get your honest responses and to help us think about what to do next.
What you told me you especially liked about this retreat.
These are not listed in any particular order:
- The exercises
- The ability to do the retreat on your own schedule
- Having the material in multiple formats
- The ability to post, read, and respond to one another’s posts
- The emphasis on deeper relationship with God/Jesus
- My honest and personal approach
Your responses clearly indicated that you came with spiritual openness and expectation—or at least hopefulness—and these attitudes are key to the success of any retreat experience.
I recognize that many of you are in the midst of ministry, whether or not you see it as such. You are bringing up children, caring for elderly or sick family members, participating in your faith communities, creating home in the midst of unpredictable events, and holding down jobs while seeking the vocation to love others however you can. Since you are so busy with your everyday life, you told us that you appreciated that this retreat gave you the flexibility to choose when you participated.
Let me tell you what I especially liked about this retreat.
Again, these are not listed in any particular order:
- You were active participants—reading the materials and trying out the exercises for yourselves.
- You were honest—asking good questions and voicing your real concerns.
- You formed community, by reading one another’s posts and in some cases responding to one another directly.
- You did a stunning job of connecting the content to what was going on in your individual situations.
- You told wonderful stories—some of them quite moving and powerful.
- Your attitude was one of appreciation and gratitude—two things that always soften the heart so that the Holy Spirit can work.
The Journey Continues
It would be impossible to maintain an ongoing schedule such as the one we kept for the Lenten retreat. But here is what we plan to do in the near future:
- The emphasis will continue to be deepening our friendship with God.
- I will be posting a reflection and an exercise once a week, and about once a month we will provide a video. And you will still have the opportunity to post your comments.
- Sometimes I will present material directly; other times I might refer to another book or resource and occasionally we’ll have a guest author.
We will try all of this and see what happens. And then adjust our plans accordingly.
Thank you for being part of this online spiritual adventure! All peace and grace to you during these spring days,
Note: You will need to subscribe again if you would like to continue to receive updates via email when new posts have been made. Simply click on the “Receive updates” button found at the right.